- This event has passed.
Seminar: Writing Characters People Get Attached To
March 11, 2018 @ 4:00 pm - 7:00 pm
Why do certain characters stick with you long after you’ve finished a book? What makes a character memorable? We’ve all read books that seem technically perfect with clean plotting and tight prose, yet the characters themselves are forgettable. What makes a dynamic character? How do you write a character that compels the reader to keep reading? We’ll discuss the importance of early emotional attachment to your protagonist, and how to maintain that attachment throughout a novel-length work. This interactive seminar will also offer answers to:
- What is the difference between a static and a dynamic character?
- How do I create a transformative character arc?
- Why is it important for a character to have agency?
- How do I give a character agency?
- Am I starting the story in the right place for this character to be appealing?
- How do I introduce a character’s backstory in a way that feels organic?
- How can a character show different sides when interacting with others?
- How does a character’s goal relate to attachment?
- How do I introduce flawed characters in a way that the reader still attaches to them?
— If you cannot attend in person, Writing Workshops Dallas also offers Livestream Options