- This event has passed.
Seminar: Managing the Passage of Time on the Page
September 16, 2018 @ 3:00 pm - 6:00 pm$60
Some stories take place in a matter of days, or even hours. Others are multi-generational epics. And yet, both need to fit into the number of pages you get for a book manuscript or screenplay. So how do you manage the progression of time? We will focus on utilizing effective pacing techniques. This interactive seminar, suitable for fiction writers, screenwriters and memoir writers, will also offer answers to:
- How can chapter breaks function as time jumps?
- How can I handle time compression/dilation?
- What are gradual vs. abrupt time shifts?
- When is it useful to use montage and summary?
- If I’m working with non-linear time, how do I put events in a logical order?
- How do I effectively structure a flashback?
- How do I enter a flashback and then return to ordinary time?
- Why should I limit my use of flashbacks?
- What if I want to include elements of time travel?